One nice advantage to stuffed peppers is that they can be assembled and even cooked ahead – just reheat! You can even assemble them the night before, refrigerate overnight and cook them in the crock pot the next day – nothing like having dinner waiting on you!
Italian Stuffed Bell Peppers
Prep time: 15 mins Cook time: 45 mins Total time: 1 hour
Serves: 6 servings
- 6 bell peppers
- 1 lb ground beef or sausage, preferably grass fed (where to buy)
- 2 c. water
- 1 c. rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1½ c. cheddar cheese
- 1½ c. tomato sauce
- 1½ Tbsp oregano
- 1½ Tbsp basil
- 1 tsp cilantro
- ½ tsp garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- butter or olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. In a small pot, bring water to a boil and add rice – cook until tender.
3. Cut the tops off the bell peppers and remove the seeds. I use the tops diced in salads or you may saute them with the onions.
4. While the rice is cooking, in another boiler, saute the onions in butter or olive oil until translucent.
5. Add the ground beef to the onions and brown.
6. Add the remaining ingredients including the cooked rice to the ground beef mixture and stir well.
7. Place the bell peppers in a baking dish and fill with the stuffing mixture.
8. Add ¾ inch of water to the bottom of the baking dish.
9. Place in preheated oven and cook for 45 minutes – the peppers should be tender but not limp.
Crock Pot Method: Follow the above instructions for stuffing the bell peppers. Place in the crock pot and add ¾ inch water to the bottom of the crock pot. Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.